Inventory management plays a critical role in the overall success of heavy industries.
In recent times, more businesses are going digital with their inventory management process. Companies are now leveraging advanced technologies such as Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) and Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) devices for real-time tracking of inventory. Moreover, methods such as predictive analytics are being used to forecast demand and optimise inventory levels, helping to ensure that resources are efficiently allocated.
In order to keep up with these developing technologies, businesses need to remain up-to-date and ensure they carry out these best practices.
Standing at the forefront of this is Magellan X, a company that offers purpose-built DeepTech solutions to help companies in heavy industries that are struggling to digitalise. By harnessing the power of IIoT devices and AI-powered analytics, we help businesses gain real-time insights into their inventory levels. This allows them to make data-driven decisions that optimise their supply chains while minimising their environmental impact.
What is Inventory Management?
Inventory management is the process of ordering, storing, tracking, and accounting for a company’s goods. The intent is to meet customer demands efficiently and effectively. Industries such as maritime, petrochemical, mining, and offshore operations rely heavily on effective inventory management for smooth operations.
Benefits of Inventory Management
- Cost Reduction: Effective inventory management allows companies to reduce carrying costs, avoid running out of stock, and minimise lost margins from markdowns and expedited shipping. These cost savings are crucial in heavy industries like oil & gas, maritime, chemicals, and mining.
- Enhanced Efficiency: With proper inventory management, companies can streamline operations. In industries like offshore facilities, timing is critical, and properly managed stock will prevent disruptions. This ensures the efficiency of high-value operations.
- Improved Customer Satisfaction: In maritime and petrochemical sectors, effective inventory management ensures prompt fulfilment of customer orders, thus enhancing customer satisfaction. Better satisfaction leads to increased customer demand, and larger profits for a business.
Challenges of Inventory Management
- Demand Forecasting: Accurate demand forecasting is essential to avoid stock shortages or an excess of inventory. In industries like mining and offshore operations, this can be especially challenging due to volatile market conditions or weather disruptions affecting the demand and supply chain.
- Maintaining Inventory Visibility: Maintaining real-time visibility into inventory levels is critical for industries that operate globally. Shipping internationally can complicate tracking goods as they are moved across facilities. Inventory visibility is a constant issue among suppliers, but this can be solved using best practices and modern technology systems.
- Supply Chain Management: Ensuring efficient supply chain management is vital for heavy industries like mining, where disruptions in the supply chain can lead to delays in production and increased costs. Effective inventory management plays a significant role in mitigating these risks.
What are the Best Practices for Inventory Management?
Best practices in inventory management enable companies to have accurate stock records, improve efficiency and become more competitive, reducing unnecessary expenses. It also helps to track inventory figures and enables easy warehouse management, as long as you make the right software investment choices.
1. Invest in Inventory Management Technology
Investing in robust inventory management technology is essential for successful inventory management. Using tools to eliminate paper processes and increase efficiency can lead to huge returns for your business.
PROPELLER by Magellan X is a mobile and Real-Time Location System (RTLS) inventory management solution that brings Intrinsically Safe portable scanning tablets to your warehouse. Our AI/ML-powered cloud solution provides near real-time inventory data and actionable insights, allowing for inventory to be tracked remotely.
2. Use Inventory Management Tools that Integrate with Your Other Solutions
Seamless integration with your existing business tools is a necessity for effective inventory management. This allows you to improve your systems with minimal disruptions to your business operations.
PROPELLER’s RFID Mobile Scanner is compatible with a range of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) solutions, enabling standardisation across inventory management platforms. In addition, our mobile tablet synchronises data with your PMS automatically, facilitating smoother and more efficient inventory tracking.
Your existing infrastructure doesn’t become obsolete with PROPELLER. Instead, our inventory management software adds to the groundwork you have already laid.
3. Track All Product Information
Accurately tracking product information is necessary for effective stock control.
PROPELLER offers AI-powered analytics that monitors consumption and usage. Our service also provides a mobile and Real-Time Location System (RTLS), allowing you to ensure transparency throughout the ordering process.
By monitoring your inventory and remaining aware of your products, you can avoid losing track of items and causing inefficiency.
4. Audit Inventory
Regular inventory audits are essential to maintain accurate records and detect potential discrepancies in your inventory.
PROPELLER has a range of features that simplify the auditing process. Our RFID Mobile Scanner helps you keep track of parts and prevents misplacement. Through IIoT technology, parts can be reliably found within minutes.
For shorter-range operations, QR tags are available to be placed on items. These provide unique IDs and storage locations for 100% of your inventory, ensuring that your next audit goes on without a hitch.
For even longer-range usage, PROPELLER has long-range RFID beacons that can monitor cargo when it is in transit. These tools can help you remain aware of your own stock, and you can manage inventory without any fuss.
5. Comply with Best Environmental Practices
In today’s eco-conscious world, adhering to environmental best practices is more important than ever. The International Maritime Organisation (IMO) is making efforts to battle climate change, and global efforts are underway to curb emissions in the shipping industry.
With PROPELLER, you can participate in carbon-conscious inventory management by reducing the need for unnecessary transport and orders. Our system reduces an average of 30% of excess stock when used, and our AI analytics are constantly on the lookout for bulk-order opportunities, saving you an extra shipment that might enlarge your carbon footprint.
How to Choose the Right Inventory Management System
When selecting the right inventory management system for your business, it is important to consider several factors that align with your industry-specific needs. Here are a few tips to help you make the best choice.
- Assess whether the system is scalable and customisable to your sector. Various industries have different needs, so be sure to pursue a solution that can fit your requirements. For example, PROPELLER has various functions that can benefit the petrochemical, maritime, offshore, and mining sectors, using different combinations of its scanners, RFID tablets, and analytics Dashboards.
- Prioritise functionality. Ensure that the inventory management system offers features that directly address the emerging trends and pain points within your industry. In the case of PROPELLER, it includes features that aid in general inventory management, such as real-time stock visibility, order consolidation, and smart procurement. These capabilities prioritise efficiency, cost optimisation, and compliance with industry regulations.
- Ensure it can integrate with existing systems and data sources. Verify that the inventory management software is compatible with your current technology infrastructure and can be integrated into your workflows without much hassle. PROPELLER, for instance, is designed to be compatible with various systems in the maritime sector, so integration becomes a seamless process.
- Lastly, consider the quality of customer support and future upgrades provided by the system vendor. A responsive and knowledgeable support team will help ensure that any issues encountered with the software are resolved promptly. Furthermore, regular software updates addressing new industry trends and requirements play a vital role in maintaining the long-term effectiveness of the system.
By keeping these factors in mind, you can select an inventory management system like PROPELLER, which offers a range of features tailored to meet the unique challenges of this sector.
Elevate Your Inventory Management with PROPELLER by Magellan X
In an ever-changing world, businesses operating in heavy industries face increasing challenges in inventory management. The need for up-to-date, efficient, and sustainable solutions is undeniably crucial. By adopting innovative technologies that align with best practices, organisations can streamline their inventory management processes and enhance overall performance.
Platforms like PROPELLER can help companies improve their efficiency, reduce waste, adhere to these best practices, and promote environmentally responsible operations. Don’t let your inventory management fall behind—find out more about PROPELLER to elevate your organisation’s inventory management practices today.
Download this article here.